Offered for the first time in 2015-2016, Faculty Excellence established the Academic Leadership Academy (ALA) with the primary objective of developing future academic leaders. The program provides an introduction to academic leadership, an opportunity for faculty to interact with senior academic leaders, and the chance to build a mental model of university administration. Participants also develop a leadership network with peers from across multiple disciplines. The goals of the program are to build community and to instill the skills and attitudes of leaders, including a commitment to the role of diversity in achieving excellence.
Academy members will gain insight into UCF operations through monthly interactive seminars, discussions, and hands-on practical activities. In addition to the monthly structured meetings, you will also participate in pre-work before the monthly session and have assignments after the monthly session. This will include discussions to deepen your understanding of the concepts learned during the monthly meeting. These conversations will take place via small groups as well as on Webcourses. During this time you will be able to reflect on current practices, expand, refine, and build new skills, share ideas, teach one another, and solve problems.
Anticipated topics covered in ALA include the following:
- Understanding Your Leadership Style, Strengths, and Weaknesses, and Developing a Career Roadmap
- UCF Organizational Structure
- UCF Budget
- Understanding Your Conflict Mode and Conflict Resolution
- Role of the Dean
- Role of the Department Chair
- How to Transition from Colleague to Supervisor
- Faculty Governance, UFF, Faculty Senate
- Fundraising and External Sources of Funding
- Next Steps in Your Career
The Academic Leadership Academy is offered in even-numbered academic years (e.g., 2018-19, 2020-21).
Fall 2020 Semester will be held via Zoom.
All sessions are from 9 to 11 a.m.
- Friday, August 21
- Friday, September 11
- Friday, October 16
- Friday, November 13
- Friday, December 11
Spring 2021 Semester
All sessions are from 9 to 11 a.m.
- Friday, January 22
- Friday, February 19
- Friday, March 19
- Friday, April 9
- Friday, April 23
All full-time (1.0 FTE), UCF faculty members are eligible to apply. Faculty at the rank of assistant or associate must show evidence that they are making satisfactory progress toward promotion (e.g., recent CPE, annual evaluations).
*Please note that while all full-time UCF faculty are eligible to apply for the ALA, only up to 20 participants will be accepted into the 2020-21 cohort due to space and training personnel constraints.
**Please also note that successful completion of the ALA does not guarantee formal or informal leadership positions at UCF.
Applications will be evaluated on:
- The career aspirations and leadership interests of applicants
- The applicant’s previous participation in Faculty Excellence programing
- Approval from the applicant’s Chair/Director or Dean/Vice President
Applications should include the following:
- Statement (maximum 500 words) describing why you are interested in the leadership program and how participation in ALA will assist you in meeting your career goals (entered in the Qualtrics application)
- Current vita (uploaded in the Qualtrics application)
- Support form signed by Chair/Director click here to download or Dean/Vice President (for faculty who do not report to a Chair or School Director) click here to download (uploaded in the Qualtrics application)
Application period is closed.
This is a volunteer participation program. Course release is not provided for participation. Participants who engage in 80% of the sessions will be awarded a certificate of completion at the conclusion of the program.