Table of Contents
The University Research Council and the Office of the Vice President for Research are proud to offer the In-Unit Excellence in Research Awards. Each college may select one research award recipient.
One Excellence in Research award is available to the combined research faculty in those institutes and centers not directly associated with an academic college. Each college researcher selected will be considered for one additional University Excellence in Research Award.Back to Top
Each of the college-level award recipients shall receive a one-time payment of $2,000. The individual selected to receive the university-level award shall receive an additional one-time payment of $2,000. Award amounts are treated as income and are subject to normal withholding tax.Back to Top
- Must be a full-time employee with at least three years of continuous non-visiting, non-OPS service at UCF immediately prior to the current year.
- Must have an assignment of at least 0.10 FTE in research over each of the three immediately preceding years and the current year at UCF.
- Must not have received a college or university Excellence in Research award in the past three years.
- In considering previous winners of the Excellence in Research Award, only materials developed since the last award will be considered in the evaluation for the current year’s award.
- Members of the University Research Council who are involved in the selection process are not eligible to apply for the university award, but may be selected for the college award.
The criteria for evaluating applicants’ files shall include three major categories:
- Cumulative value and impact of research efforts at UCF within the discipline and to society;
- Recognition of research impact by the individual’s peers in the same or in related disciplines;
- Publication/dissemination and presentation of research results.
The following sections are required to be presented as a single PDF (no portfolios please) and submitted to your College Dean’s Office:
- Statement of Research Activities
- To include the following:
- Primary area of research (100 words or less)
- Value and impact of research efforts at UCF (not to exceed 500 words) Give a concise description of the value and impact of research efforts at UCF with the discipline and to society, discussing, for example, new discoveries, major contributions, creativeness, originality, significant breakthroughs, etc. with a focus on the past three years.
- Curriculum Vitae
- Research outlets (no more than half a page)
- Briefly describe how the major research publications or other means of research dissemination exceed the norm in the candidate’s field. List these publications or major products for dissemination.
- Research recognition (no more than half a page)
- Briefly list major awards or other evidence of recognition, including major research funding.
- Supporting materials.
- Candidates may attach or include up to a maximum of three examples of their work in the previous three years. These examples should be selected to provide evidence of quality as opposed to quantity.
- Statement of Research Activities
Evaluation and Award Process
College Evaluation and Award Process
The dean of each college will charge a faculty committee to evaluate the documentation submitted by the applicants and select the individual to receive the college Excellence in Research award.
The University Research Council will serve as the college-level review committee for nominations submitted by eligible institutes and centers.
University Evaluation and Award Process
The University Research Council will make the recommendation for the University Excellence in Research award and will base its final decisions on the documentation in the candidate’s file.Back to Top