Table of Contents
One award is available through this program for the College of Medicine. The recipient of this award shall receive a one-time payment of $2,000. Award amounts are treated as income and are subject to normal withholding tax.Back to Top
- Employees must have contributed significantly to graduate education, including substantial teaching of graduate courses (including thesis and dissertation courses) over the current academic year and the three preceding academic years.
- Must not have received an Excellence in Graduate Teaching — COM award in the past three academic years.
The criteria for evaluating applicants’ files shall include three major categories:
- Innovations to improve graduate teaching;
- Graduate teaching accomplishments/honors;
- Evidence of impact on graduate teaching.
Applications must be submitted as a single PDF file (no portfolios please) to email@example.com. The following sections are required:
- Curriculum vitae highlighting the following:
- Recent presentations and creative activities, publications, and research related to graduate teaching;
- Graduate teaching accomplishments and honors related to graduate teaching excellence;
- Development of graduate programs, courses, and teaching materials.
- Evidence of participation in activities to develop graduate course materials; and,
- Participation in or facilitation of a graduate teaching workshop or similar activity.
- Statement of teaching philosophy (500 words maximum, 12-point font).
- List of all courses taught in the previous three years by term, with graduate courses highlighted.
- Table listing enrollment and grade distribution for each class taught in the previous three years.
- Syllabi for all graduate courses taught in the previous three years.
- Summaries of evaluations of teaching by students, peers, department chair, and other appropriate parties (if student evaluation comments are used, all comments from a selected course must be included rather than selected excerpts) for the previous three years.
- Examples of teaching strategies and materials used to challenge students to achieve excellence and expand their intellectual horizons.
- A list of master’s thesis and doctoral dissertations supervised in the previous three years.
These items may be presented as part of the application after the required items.
- Letters from graduate students (please include date and indicate for each letter whether it was or was not solicited); letters must not be solicited from current students.
Evaluation and Award Process
The dean will charge a faculty committee to evaluate the documentation submitted by the nominees and select the person to receive the College of Medicine Excellence in Graduate Teaching Award. Faculty members who are under consideration may not serve on the selection committee in any capacity. If, in the judgment of the faculty committee, no award or nominee is merited, none need be made.
All nominees will be notified of their selection status by the college.Back to Top