Table of Contents
The Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching Award recognizes outstanding undergraduate-level teaching. One award is available through this program for the College of Medicine.Back to Top
The recipient of this award shall receive a one-time payment of $2,000. Award amounts are treated as income and are subject to normal withholding tax.Back to Top
- Employees must be assigned to teach at least two undergraduate courses in the current academic year and to have taught at least six undergraduate courses over the preceding three academic years.
- Employees who have received an Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching — COM award in the past three academic years in the category for which they are applying are not eligible for this award.
The criteria for evaluating applicants’ files shall include three major categories:
- Innovations to improve undergraduate teaching;
- Undergraduate teaching accomplishments/honors;
- Evidence of impact on undergraduate teaching.
Applications must be submitted as a single PDF file (no portfolios please) to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the following sections in this order:
- Curriculum vitae highlighting undergraduate teaching accomplishments and honors
- Statement of teaching impact and innovations on undergraduate teaching and learning (500 words maximum, 12-point font)
- List of all courses taught in the previous three years by term, with undergraduate courses highlighted
- Table listing enrollment and grade distribution for each class taught in the previous three years
- Student perception of instruction reports (if student evaluation comments are used, all comments from a selected course must be included rather than selected excerpts)
- Examples of teaching strategies and materials used to challenge students to achieve excellence and expand their intellectual horizons
- Technology statement for teaching philosophy
- List and/or samples of recent presentations and creative activities, publications, and research related to the teaching enterprise
- Evidence of ability to provide effective instruction in a variety of teaching circumstances including with students of diverse backgrounds and abilities
- Additional pertinent documentation including unsolicited materials (all letters must have been written during the previous three academic years and letters cannot come from current students).
Evaluation and Award Process
The dean will charge a faculty committee to evaluate the documentation submitted by the nominees and select the person to receive the College of Medicine Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching award. Faculty members who are under consideration may not serve on the selection committee in any capacity. If, in the judgment of the faculty committee, no award or nomination is merited, none need be made.
All nominees will be notified of their selection status by the college.Back to Top