Guidelines for Review of Academic Deans
During the fifth year of appointment, or re-appointment as dean, a review shall be conducted. The Provost will be responsible for initiating the review and for acting upon its recommendations. The Provost will designate the Office of Faculty Excellence to lead this process. This review shall serve as both formative and summative assessment of the Dean’s performance and will be advisory in nature to the Provost.
Step 1: Vice Provost for Faculty Excellence and UCF Global notifies Dean. Vice Provost notifies the dean under review that a 5-year review will be conducted.
Step 2: Guidelines provided to Dean. The Assistant Vice Provost for Faculty Excellence (AVPFE)i meets with the dean under review. The dean will be provided a copy of these guidelines and a copy of the questions included in the survey. The dean may add up to two additional question(s) approved by the provost to the survey instrument.
Step 3: Committee is selected. Vice Provost for Faculty Excellence and UCF Global selects and contacts committee members. The committee will consist of the following:
Dean from another college (Chair of the Committee)
College of the Dean Under Review
- One Assistant or Associate Dean
- One to two Chairs or faculty administrators (depending on size of college)
- One Faculty Senator from within the college of the Dean under review
- Up to four tenured and/or tenure-track faculty members within the college of the Dean under review (depending on size of college)
- One non-tenure earning faculty member within the college of the Dean under review
- One staff member within the college of the Dean under review
- One student representative within the college of the Dean under review (SGA College Representative)
Outside the College
- Chief Diversity Officer
- Graduate College Associate Dean or Office of Research Associate Vice President
- One Representative from the Dean’s Advisory Board
Step 4: Vice Provost of Faculty Excellence and UCF Global meets with the dean selected to chair the review and the AVPFE to explain process.
Step 5: Documents provided by the Dean under review. Dean provides the following items that will be hosted and publicly accessible on the Faculty Excellence website:
- Current CV
- College organizational chart
- College vision, mission, and goals, including alignment of the college goals with UCF’s strategic plan
- One page impact statement to include accomplishments of the dean and college as well as accomplishments towards metrics outlined in UCF’s strategic plan
- PowerPoint presentation highlighting accomplishments
The Dean will also provide the following items (that will not be publicly available):
- Names and contact information for dean’s external advisory board
- Statement addressing what has been supportive in getting the job done and what has impeded their ability to do so
- Current top issues
- Future plans/goals that are not encompassed in the college goals with particular attention to UCF’s strategic plan and metrics
Step 6: Campus communication. A formal announcement shall be made to faculty, staff, and students within the college, as well as to university leadership and others who interact with the dean under review, regarding the dean’s review.
Step 7: Committee is charged. Review Committee convened and charged by provost or provost designee
Step 8: Committee chair responsibilities. Committee chair (in conjunction with Assistant Vice Provost for Faculty Excellence) outlines the process of the review to the committee. The committee chair will have oversight responsibility for ensuring that the committee report accurately reflects the content of the deliberations and is supported from the feedback received on the Dean under review. The committee chair is also responsible for ensuring that records are kept in accordance with State law.
Step 9: Feedback is gathered. The committee will use a survey, provided by the Office of Faculty Excellence, to widely solicit feedback on the Dean under review. The survey will be administered to the following stakeholders:
- Faculty members in the college
- A&P and USPS staff members in the college
- Assistant and associate deans in the college
- Chairs/directors and other administrators in the college
- Students whose major is in the college
- Deans advisory board in the college
- UCF Vice Presidents
- UCF Deans
- Vice Provosts and Associate Provosts
Administration of the survey does not preempt the right of Individuals to communicate directly with the Provost or the right of the Provost to consult with individuals outside the review committee.
Step 10: Results are synthesized, committee reviews, and summary is written. The Office of Faculty Excellence will synthesize the survey results and share with the committee. The review committee will reconvene to discuss the results of the survey. From this discussion, a summary report of the committee will be prepared.
Step 11: The summary report is delivered to the Provost.
Step 12: The Provost, using the committee report as advisory in nature, makes decision to renew or discontinue appointment of the Dean under review. The Provost discusses with the dean decision and if reappointment discusses expectations of dean’s leadership moving forward.
Step 13: The Provost communicates the outcome to college and campus.
iThe AVPFE is an ex offico member to assist the chair of the committee in the process. Is responsible for statistical analysis of data, preparation of charts, and statistical tools used for committee analysis.