Faculty Fellows for Inclusive Excellence
One of the five pillars of UCF’s Institutionalization of our Collective Impact Strategic Plan is our promise to recruit, cultivate, and retain exceptional and diverse faculty, students, and staff.
Achieving these goals will require the engagement and support of the entire UCF community as we continue to cultivate an environment of belonging. The active participation of faculty members will be especially vital in achieving these goals. Faculty Excellence is seeking an additional Faculty Fellow for Inclusive Excellence, who demonstrates a strong commitment to equity and inclusion, beginning Summer or Fall 2020, through the 2020-2021 academic year with the potential for a longer appointment.
The Fellow will co-lead the development and implementation of inclusive excellence initiatives with the current faculty fellow and under the direction of the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs, and the Vice Provost for Faculty Excellence.
Faculty Excellence will transfer to the Fellows’ home unit up to $10,000 per academic year for course replacement costs. It is expected that a Fellow with teaching assignments will be released in whole or part from their instructional duties. If the fellow has a summer appointment they will also receive a $5,000 administrative assignment.
Responsibilities of the Fellow
- Assist in the development of sustainable goals and strategies to increase faculty recruitment, retention, faculty development and curricular integration to ensure that faculty feel supported and fully engaged with the university.
- Actively ensure any programs in place to achieve the goals of recruiting and retaining faculty across difference are supported and assess their impact.
- Collaborate with others at UCF to leverage existing and future efforts by departments, faculty, administrators, staff and students to develop goals, objectives and actions for cultivating an enriched diverse and inclusive university community.
- Actively participate in national diversity and inclusion organizations and network with colleagues to learn ‘best practices’ that will inform campus diversity/inclusion initiatives and create a pipeline of professionals interested in pursuing opportunities at UCF. Some travel will be expected and will be reimbursed.
- Take the lead in conducting research on ‘best practices’ from other universities that have examined diversity and inclusion. This will include cultivating relationships for the purposes of applying to UCF those lessons learned with the goal of further enhancing a more inclusive university community.
- Assess any previous plans and strategies for impact, sustainability, and update.
- Engage in strategic data collection from the faculty and administration in order to identify strategies to further cultivate an enriched and inclusive university community.
- Co-lead the Inclusive Excellence subcommittee of the Faculty Excellence Advisory Committee.
All full-time tenured faculty who have achieved the rank of associate professor or professor and full-time non-tenure earning faculty who have achieved associate or higher (including clinical, instructional designers, instructors, lecturers, librarians, as well as non-tenure earning associate professors and non-tenure earning professors) are eligible to apply. All applicants must show evidence that they are making satisfactory progress towards the next rank and/or promotion. (e.g., timeline).
Evaluation of applications
Applicants will be evaluated on the following criteria:
- Commitment to inclusive excellence at UCF
- Overall record and potential for leadership in faculty excellence initiatives, including alignment with the focus of the respective fellowship
- Vision for inclusive excellence for UCF & how serving in a Faculty Fellow role will contribute towards UCF achieving this vision
The evaluation committee will consist of the Vice Provost for Faculty Excellence and the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs.
Applications must include the following, as a single pdf document:
- Letter (no longer than two pages) describing the applicant’s interest in a Fellowship, how their background and experiences align and support the focus of the Fellowship, and their goals for the Fellowship period and beyond. (uploaded to Qualtrics application via link provided below).
- 500-word statement on the specific aspects of diversity and inclusion that you are interested in leading and initial thoughts/ideas on efforts to develop and implement the initiative. (uploaded to Qualtrics application via link provided below).
- Current vita (uploaded to Qualtrics application via link provided below).
- Endorsement letter from their department chair/school director/unit head (uploaded to Qualtrics application via link provided below).
Submission Process & Deadline
The application period for the 2020-21 academic year is now open.
Complete Qualtrics applications must be electronically received by Faculty Excellence (email@example.com) no later than 5:00 p.m. on February 21.
Please click here to apply.
Questions about this program can be directed to Faculty Excellence (407-823-1113 or firstname.lastname@example.org).