Faculty Fellow Program
The goal of Faculty Excellence is to help strengthen UCF’s faculty. Strategies to meet this goal include, among others, faculty development, recognition and awards, speaker series, strategies for tenure and/or promotion preparation, recruitment and retention initiatives and communication efforts.
UCF faculty completed the COACHE survey in spring 2015. Based on the results of the survey, priorities were identified and from those priorities strategies and plans were created. Faculty Excellence has been facilitating the implementation of those strategies.
We are currently in the process of readministering the COACHE survey and the Faculty Excellence Faculty Fellow will be assisting with not only the implementation of COACHE strategies already in place, but also assisting with the review of the current survey results and working with a team to recommend new opportunities based on these results.
We are seeking one Faculty Fellow for a one-year part-time position beginning summer 2018 and running through spring 2019, with an optional additional summer 2019 appointment.
In their role, the Fellow will collaborate with colleagues in Faculty Excellence and in other academic and administrative offices across campus. The Fellow will be expected to participate as an active member of the Faculty Excellence team (e.g., contributing to team meetings, providing ideas/suggestions on related projects, maintaining presence in the office). The Fellow will report to the Vice Provost for Faculty Excellence.
Faculty Excellence will provide to the college/department up to $10,000 for the academic year for course releases. It is expected that a Fellow with teaching assignments will be released in whole or part from their instructional duties.
All full-time tenured faculty who have achieved the rank of associate professor or professor and full-time non-tenured faculty who have achieved associate or higher (including instructors, lecturers, instructional designers, librarians, clinical, research) are eligible to apply.
Faculty at the rank of associate (or equivalent to associate) must show evidence that they are making satisfactory progress toward promotion to professor (e.g., recent CPE, annual evaluations).
Preference will be given to faculty who have successfully completed the Academic Leadership Academy.
Evaluation of Applications
Applicants will be evaluated based upon:
- Overall record and potential for leadership in faculty initiatives, including alignment with the COACHE focus of the Fellowship
- Goals for the fellowship year and beyond
- Excellent communication skills
The evaluation committee will consist of the Vice Provost for Faculty Excellence, the Associate Provost for Academic Program Quality and Associate Vice President, and the Assistant Vice Provost for Faculty Excellence.
Applications must include the following, as a single pdf document:
- Letter (no longer than two pages) describing the applicant’s interest in a Fellowship, how their background and experiences align and support the focus of the Fellowship, and their goals for the Fellowship period and beyond
- 500-word statement of what the applicant would be interested in leading and initial thoughts/ideas for the effort(s). Innovative ideas for initiatives that will strengthen faculty are encouraged.
- Current vita
- Endorsement letter from their department chair/school director
Submission Process & Deadline
Applications should be submitted to the following people by 5:00 p.m. on Wednesday, April 25.
- College deans (from college faculty)
- Liz Klonoff (from institutes and centers for faculty not part of a college)
- Tom Cavanagh (from instructional designers)
- Barry Baker (from faculty librarians)
No more than two applications from each college or unit should be forwarded to Faculty Excellence.
Complete applications must be electronically received by Faculty Excellence (email@example.com) no later than 12:00 p.m. on Friday, April 27.
Interviews will take place the following week with notifications on or before May 4.
Questions about this program can be directed to Faculty Excellence (407-823-1113 or firstname.lastname@example.org).