Academic Leadership Academy
Offered for the first time in 2015-2016, Faculty Excellence established the Academic Leadership Academy (ALA) with the primary objective of developing future academic leaders. The program provides an introduction to academic leadership, an opportunity for faculty to interact with senior academic leaders, and the chance to build a mental model of university administration. Participants also develop a leadership network with peers from across multiple disciplines. The goals of the program are to build community and to instill the skills and attitudes of leaders, including a commitment to the role of diversity in achieving excellence.
The Academic Leadership Academy is offered in even-numbered academic years (e.g., 2018-19, 2020-21).
Structure of ALA
Academy members will gain insight into UCF operations through monthly interactive seminars, discussions, and hands-on practical activities. In addition to the monthly structured meetings, you will also participate in pre-work before the monthly session and have assignments after the monthly session. This will include discussions to deepen your understanding of the concepts learned during the monthly meeting. These conversations will take place via small groups as well as on Webcourses. During this time you will be able to reflect on current practices, expand, refine, and build new skills, share ideas, teach one another, and solve problems.
Anticipated topics covered in ALA include the following:
- Understanding Your Leadership Style, Strengths, and Weaknesses, and Developing a Career Roadmap
- UCF Organizational Structure
- UCF Budget
- Understanding Your Conflict Mode and Conflict Resolution
- Role of the Dean
- Role of the Department Chair
- How to Transition from Colleague to Supervisor
- Faculty Governance, UFF, Faculty Senate
- Fundraising and External Sources of Funding
- Next Steps in Your Career
Fall 2018 Semester
- Thursday, August 16, 4-5pm (Networking Kickoff Celebration)
- Friday, August 17, 8-11 a.m.
- Friday, September 7, 9-11 a.m.
- Friday, October 5, 9-11 a.m.
- Friday, November 2, 9-11 a.m.
- Friday, December 7, 2-4 p.m.
Spring 2019 Semester
- Friday, January 18, 9-11 a.m.
- Friday, February 1, 9-11 a.m.
- Friday, March 1, 9-11 a.m.
- Friday, April 5, 9-11 a.m.
- Friday, April 26, 3-5 p.m.
Eligibility and Application Process
All full-time (1.0 FTE), tenure-earning and tenured faculty members holding the rank of assistant, associate, or professor, as well as full-time non-tenure earning faculty (clinical and research only) holding the rank of assistant, associate, or professor are eligible to apply. Faculty at the rank of assistant or associate must show evidence that they are making satisfactory progress toward promotion to professor (e.g., recent CPE, annual evaluations).
Applications are evaluated on:
- Career aspirations and readiness
- Approval from both Chair/Director and Dean/Vice President
The application period for the 2018-19 academic year is now closed.
This is a volunteer participation program. Course release is not provided for participation.
Contact Faculty Excellence at email@example.com or 407-823-1113.